Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Realizations And Resolutions From 2012

Here we are, at the end of 2012, and I haven't blogged anything meaningful in months. I also just realized that I hadn't even posted my traditional "Realizations and Resolutions" post last year... Oopsie! But while most people hated 2012, and claimed it be one of the worst years ever, I have to confess, it was actually a good year for me… Let's recap!

One of the things I love most about my blog is it's archive. I can click any month of any year and an entire vault of memories unfolds. And browsing through 2012, though I didn't post much, I realize that I've had a bunch of great memories and accomplishments I'd forgotten about! Now let me prioritize them, and begin with my Realizations and Resolutions...

1- At the top of my list is God and my Religion. Though I'm definitly not one of the most religious people in the world, and though I don't pray as often as I should, I believe in and follow the holy book to the best that I can. I Thank God everyday for all of the blessings and people he has brought and kept in my life, Hamdella every single day. I hope to always keep my faith, and pray more often, with almighty God by my side every step of the way…

2- There is an old Arabic saying that I like, "الجنة بلا ناس ما تنداس" which translates into something along the lines of "paradise without people is pointless". One of the best parts of life is all the human relationships in it, and I can't imagine my life without my beautiful family and just as beautiful friends. The only one I'm missing is "The One". Though I claim not to believe in true love these days, deep down, I do. I do believe that there is a someone out there for everyone, and for me, I just haven't found him yet. Wherever he is, whatever he's doing, I can't help but hope this year will be a year that will lead me closer to finding him (or him finding me), inshallah...

3- I think one of the most challenging things for me this year was my health. Starting with the good though, after almost 10 years of wearing contact lenses, I finally got Lasik surgery done in May 2012 and it was the best money I've ever spent in my life (sing I can see clearly now the contacts and glasses are gone!). I also learned how to swallow pills this year - smile. Yes, I used to take syrup medicine until I got mocked at by almost every single person I know and so, the pill swallowing challenge began. Rest assured, I can swallow pills now! I still need to take better care of my health though. I need to eat more, at least more fruits and veggies. So that's another check I need to tick off the list of my resolutions by the end of the year... 

4- For quite a while now, I've been wondering what's the next move I need to make in terms of my education. I've always been torn between moving back to Canada, to Beirut, or staying in Tripoli. I always thought the most difficult decision would be choosing between McGill and AUB. And one of the things that scared me the most in terms of that decision was the GMAT. It was a rainy afternoon in April when I decided to just take the test. I registered to take it in May, a month's time from then, and then I racked my brains out studying for it. I even took a day off from work to take it and I passed it! What I don't know though, is why I didn't even think of applying to McGill or AUB. Something in my heart (which till this day I don't understand), made me stay in Tripoli and while I was still working, decided to apply for a part-time MBA at Balamand. I got in, and I started my first semester in October, with 6 credits… My plans from now till the end of 2013? I hope to pass those 6 credits, register and pass another 6 credits in Spring, register and pass 3 credits in Summer, and register and pass 6 credits in Fall. So inshallah, I should be close to closing 21 credits by this time next year...

5- As for work, I'm still where I was last year. I go and give my best day in and day out, but I know I need to do something to make me stand out. I'm going to give it even more this year… fingers crossed. 

6- Photography. I've definitely upped my game in this category. First and foremost my gratitude for my developed skills goes to We Love Tripoli, for their almost monthly "Shoot As You Walk" expeditions. Because of them, I got my first live TV-Interview on LBC's "Helwi Beirut" and got featured in two newspaper articles in Annahar and L'Orient Le Jour, in addition to having one of my photos make it to Al Safir's front page. I had a joint photo exhibition, "Uncommon Pictures" in Nawfal' Palace's Winter Cultural Season. And in the fourth quarter of 2012, I even started my own "30-Day Photo Challenge", which taught me a lot more about photography. To keep shooting is definitely still on my list...

7- Music was a big part of 2012! In the car, on the road, studying, chilling, I've always got my music on whenever I can. I was also quite lucky to catch several of my favourite artists and bands live in concert this year, including Cat Stevens, Evanescence, and my ultimate favourite, Snow Patrol… This year, I'm also proud to have read twice the amount I'd read in 2011. And by reading, I mean reading for fun! I read five chapter books, and I hope to keep the little bookworm in me alive! As for writing, ah, writing is a toughie. I love to write, which I haven't been doing at all. But there are these two stories in my head, and I hope to get at least one of them complete this year. At least one from now till June 2013...

8- There were times in 2012 when I couldn't stand it anymore. What couldn't I stand? It was basically this city called Tripoli. All the fightings, shootings, and chaos in the city that made it unsafe to set foot outside your house. When work would close early because of the "situation". I've never hated Tripoli as much as I did this year. But if there's one thing that I needed, it was to get out of it, if only for a while… In April 2012, I travelled to Dubai with my parents for Easer. And in September 2012, I travelled to Marmaris with my best friends Sura and Nadine, and another good friend I made along the way, Rola. It was those sweet escapes that calmed me down and made me return to my hometown with a smile on my face. As such, I am grateful for the blessing of Travel. My plans travel plans for 2013? Well, my heart's set for Vancouver, where I'd give anything to go whale-watching. As a second choice, I'd pick either Bodrum, Mykonos, or another beach-y getaway with my friends. Let's see which destination wins! 

9- Interests. This year I got pretty up-to-date technology wise. I traded my Sony Vaio for a MacBook Pro, my Blackberry for a Samsung Galaxy S3 and, well, okay maybe not traded but got along-side? :-P This world is full of way too many gadgets and gismos and programs and applications! Yet being a girl, I should probably be more interested in fashion, accessories, and make up. Or, I could mix the two! Let's see how this could go...  

10- Internet. Ah, my ultimate weakness. I think I spent the better half of my life online in 2012! FACE PALM! But I can't help it, it's an addiction I don't want to let go of. No, you know what the problem is? There's a lot of stuff I do using my MBPro and when I'm on it, I tend to get distracted on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. What I definitely need to control in 2013 is the amount of time I spend on those three sites and spend a little more time studying, researching, and of course writing...

All in all, it's been a good year, with ups, with downs, but that's life, eh? If there are no ups and downs in your life, it means you are dead… So Cheers to a New Year, and another chance for us to get it right! ;-)

                   

No comments:

Post a Comment